Programs & Initiatives
The following programs and initiatives are offered through the Nevada State Parent Information & Resource Center (PIRC) at the Education Alliance of Washoe County. For more detailed information, downloadable materials or dates of upcoming workshops, please visit the individual program pages.
- Workshops to help parents of elementary and middle school children support math learning at home.
- An integrated curriculum to help parents of elementary children support science and literacy learning at home.
- Workshops and materials to help all parents ‘navigate the educational system’ and the ‘road to college.’ Appropriate for all grade levels.
- A partnership with the University of Nevada, Reno – College of Education – Curriculum, Teaching and Learning – sharing and supporting research and best practices on family engagement with teachers entering the field of education.
- Workshops, information and promotional materials to help parents understand their options under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. Downloadable materials for schools and districts to help communicate these options to parents.
- Professional development for educators in the field on family engagement research and best practices.
- A biannual statewide Summit for all of Nevada’s schools with hundreds of ideas on how to engage and reach out to all families. Coming soon in March 2010!
- Partnership with the Washoe County School District Early Childhood Department – Virtual Pre-K provides parents of young children ideas, ‘recipe cards,’ DVDs and an interactive web site on developmentally appropriate activities for early childhood.